Take Our Kids To Work Day
Last Thursday, March 14, was ‘Take Our Kids To Work’ day. This is an annual event at Maple Leaf which provides first-hand learning about work, and a range of career opportunities for Grade 10 students taking the Career Studies course. Students participate by job shadowing an adult at a particular place of work. ‘Take Our Kids to Work’ provides opportunities for students to:
· Provide an insight into the world of work.
· Gain insight into skills required to succeed in the workplace.
· Talk with adults in the workforce to get a clearer picture of the education required to get a job, job skills employers are looking for, how to search for work.
· To learn more about the types and variety of jobs that exist and the work employees do.
· Understand how what you are learning in school and the skills you are developing are used in the workplace (i.e. Working with others, communication, organizational etc.).
· Recognize the importance of continuous learning in pursuing career opportunities.
· See the realities and demands of the workplace.
· Understand the importance of staying in school.
· To begin exploring career options.